As my readers no doubt know by now, I will be personally delivering a series of live online workshops starting on August 7th. The subject?
I sat down and create an outline of the workshops, and the class syllabus. It was originally designed to be a 6 workshop series, but I’m pretty sure I’ll need to do at least 7. Call it over-delivery.
Here is the rough breakdown of what we’ll be doing…
Workshop #1: Getting WordPress Set up Correctly
- Setting Up WordPress without a 1-click install
- Run through setting it up on my own server.
- How to point a domain to the new install.
- Breakdown of the structure of WordPress, where things are.
- How to have multiple installs of WordPress on the same hosting account.
- Tour of the WordPress settings.
- How to set permalinks (and what to set them to)
Workshop #2: Understanding Your WordPress Theme From The Insides
- The structure of a WordPress theme
- Custom homepages
- Custom page templates
- Custom categories
- Custom post templates
- Customizing your sidebar
- Reverse engineering a theme, checking out HTML and CSS code underlying it.
- Homework on basic CSS and HTML codes.
Workshop #3: Customizing Your Theme
- How to work on your design while not messing up your live website.
- How to “copy” elements from another site.
- Changing the look of “the loop”
- Modifying how your blog posts look
- Inserting call to actions beneath posts
- Inserting/modifying opt-in forms directly into your theme
Workshop #4: More Customization
- Handy tools for custom graphics (no Photoshop!)
- Buffer Day (to allow for clarifications and catch-up if we’re running behind)
Workshop #5: Expanding & Protecting WordPress
- My top recommendations for plug-ins.
- Automated WordPress backups
Workshop #6: Marketing with WordPress
- How to set up full-width landing pages with your existing theme (great for resources pages, for example)
- Sales pages with WordPress
- Squeeze pages with WordPress
- Shorten affiliate links with your domain
Workshop #7: Answering Student Questions
- Submit questions, I’ll answer them. Simple as that. If there is something that I didn’t cover already, just ask me.
Now, this syllabus is my intention. I will cover it all, but these will be live classes and so things will need to be fluid.
It starts August 7th, at 3PM EST. And I will be running 2 workshops per week, which means the entire thing will take roughly 3-4 weeks. If you cannot be there during the live event, rest assured it WILL be recorded and you’ll be able to submit questions in advance. I’m going to run all this specifically so that you do NOT have to be there in real-time to get the value from this event.
So far, the class has been filling up quite nicely and I look forward to working with you all.
I can accomodate 1,000 people… and I’m not going to play some fake scarcity bullcrap and act like I’m going to run out of room. I’m not. Not for a paid event like this. We’ve got the room, and we’d love to have you join the class.