Probably the #1 most common mistake of people new to internet business & blogging is the failure to start an email list. Having an email list is KEY to your future income online as well as the ability to mobilize your audience. Without a list, you’ll find it MUCH more difficult (if not damn near impossible) to maintain leverage as you build and really get off the ground online. It is THAT important.
Why You Need An Email List
There are two main reasons you need an email list: (1) To build leverage as you grow, (2) To sell things.
Without getting people onto your email list, a VERY high percentage of people will randomly land on your blog, glance around, then leave and you’ll never see them again. It is quite difficult to build up any leverage that way, and it will seem as if your blog’s growth is flat-lined.
An email list gives you the power to MOBILIZE your audience. It gives you the power to muster their attention and point it at things, whether it be your own blog or a product on offer. Without a list, you have essentially NO power to mobilize your audience. You’re depending on them to come check out your site again. You have NO control.
When it comes time to sell something, the ability to mobilize your audience is VERY important. Plus, your message appears in one of the few places they focus on several times per day: their inbox.
So, if you’re not building a real email list and actively working to generate as many new subscribers as possible on your blog – you’re dropping the ball big-time. This goes for any existing business as well. If people are buying things in your business and you’re not putting them on an email list so you can have followup ability later, you’re REALLY leaving money on the table. Period.
- Aweber – For most of my audience, I recommend using Aweber as your email marketing solution. These guys are awesome and I’ve been using them for years.
Click Here to view my review and why I recommend Aweber.
- Office AutoPilot – For more established businesses, I HIGHLY recommend Office AutoPilot. It is a full-on CRM and email marketing platform, with powerful if/then logic, sequencing, and much more. Similar to Infusionsoft, but simpler. This is what I’m using here at the Academy.
- Ten Minute Pages – Makes child’s play out of creating landing pages for building your email list. Fully drag-and-drop and pain-free.
- OptinSkin – WordPress plug-in for being able to place great looking opt-in forms in various places around your site without the need for complicated coding.
In Episode #7 of The Blog Program, I talked about the topic of email list building and email marketing. You can listen to the full 40 minute interview, or download the PDF transcript.
How To Build An Email List The Right Way:
- 22 Rapid Tips On Email Marketing For Bloggers
Cut to the chase. Here’s 22 action points to build your list. Zero fluff.
- The 3 Big List Building Mistakes Bloggers Make (And How To Fix Them)
I see them all the time. Don’t do what they do.
- The Secret To A Huge Mailing List – EXPOSED
Ssshhh. They don’t want you to know this.
- 6 Uncommon Techniques For List BuildingThere’s the obvious ways to build a list, and then there’s the road less traveled.
- Why Periodically Deleting Email Subscribers Makes Sense [Subscriber Re-Engagement]
Periodic maintenance of your list is necessary for high open rates. Here’s how to do it.
- Is Your Email List Really Small? Read This Now.
They size matters, but just how much?
- 2 Quick Ways To Easily Modify Your Opt-In Forms (Without Being a Code Junkie)
Customizing opt-in forms is hell for non-programmers. Here’s a couple of approaches.
sign up for the Blog Marketing Academy newsletter.