As I begin writing this post, I’m sitting here on the couch in my family room. Macbook Pro on my lap. Spongebob Squarepants playing on the TV. And, a kid sitting on either side of me watching it.
Not a bad way to kick things off. And, in a way, it is fairly representative of what my 2012 has looked like. Family and business. There hasn’t been a lot of room for much else.
A few highlights of 2012 include:
- I re-branded DavidRisley.com as the Blog Marketing Academy.
- The Inner Circle became the Academy.
- I closed down Blog Masters Club.
- I hired a new full-time VA.
- Privately, my family moved out of a 3500 sq. ft. home we were renting – one we realized was far too large for a family of 4 people – and reduced our footprint into a smaller home which we own. Something to be said about not getting more “stuff” just because you can.
- Did some reorganization over at PCMech.com.
- Began some reorganization within my business. (more on that in a bit)
So, its been a good year. Nothing ground-breaking or earth shattering, but I’m cool with that.
I have a more thorough private analysis of 2012 and 2013 goals sitting inside of Evernote. I intend to digest it down into a blog post and publish it soon – as much for my own benefit as for your’s.
But, for now, here’s a quick summary of what’s on the docket as the calendar flips into 2013 later tonight:
- I’m almost wrapped up with the conversion from Aweber to Office Autopilot. In fact, if you came to this post from an email, there’s a good chance that email came to you from OAP.
- I’m early in the process of changing my web hosting for all sites. Simply put, my needs have changed. And, while Pair Networks (my current host) is awesome, I’m overpaying for resources I don’t need right now. So, this is simply an expense reduction.
- Continuing to make my business systems more efficient. Historically, my biz expenses have been high, considering this is an online business. I’ve already made several changes that will reduce expenses substantially. But, aside from money, it is also about time. The end goal of a business like mine is LIFESTYLE. So, I’m spending a lot of attention on systems which create and deliver the core products of my business with as little time and expense as necessary. The new VA hire, the change to OAP… these are all part of this larger effort.
- In a few days, I’m flying out to Las Vegas for New Media Expo. I’ll be speaking on Sunday morning about the topic of blog monetization options.
- A few days after returning from Vegas, my wife and I are going on a cruise. Believe it or not, this is actually a business cruise. There will be a bunch of online marketers on this one. This year, I figured I’d give it a go and see what I think of the crowd and what I learn. Will report.
All that said…
I want to end off by wishing YOU the best in 2013.
I appreciate the HELL out of the fact that you’re here and that you’re a reader and/or subscriber to the Academy blog. Without you guys, I’d be another geek in a cubicle somewhere pushing code… rather than being able to sit here with my kids while I write a blog post.
Means alot. And, I love you all.