Academy Member Community

Get technical questions answered... or help with your business strategy. Your call. :)

Academy Member Community

Get informed answers to your Wordpress questions – right here in the Academy member community. One of the benefits of your free membership.

Already a member? Sign In.

• Am I credible enough for type 2 diabetes market?

• Nanatchawat Puvorawong

July 1, 2020 at 10:22 pm

I am an average Joe, Thai citizen. I am now on the search for a product/market fit, and type 2 diabetes is of my interest. I am not a GP or a doctor but my big reason is to help people with type 2 diabetes live a good well-being life, being able to reverse diabetes process, and being an insulin (or any medication) non-dependent patient.

With that said, my content is basically not medical advice but it’s just alternative advice backed up by biological and scientific proofs.

I wonder if it is a waste of my time if there’s no one giving an interest to my blog content, the lead magnets, email newsletters, the information products, i.e., e-books, audio-books, and video presentations.

I am focusing on the market which is anyone at the age of 40-70 with type 2 diabetes. Is that specific enough or still broad?

Am I credible enough for this market?

I know people with type 2 diabetes will first listen to the GP or the doctor. It’s a no brainer. The challenge is how I can make them aware and acknowledge the content I am delivering them in a different approach that can be an alternative solution to their problem.

I appreciate any comments from you guys.

• David Risley

Administrator
    July 2, 2020 at 8:51 am

First, you need to add something to your market definition. Remember, you don’t define a niche merely by demographics. It needs to include what they want. Clearly, you want to help people with diabetes who want alternative solutions. Your stuff isn’t going to be of any interest, potentially, to people who just blindly listen to their doctor. So, you will be calling out specifically people who want to handle this in a more natural way, I assume.

That said, there will be difficulties in the niche. You do lack credibility, from the sound of it. One does not need to be a GP to have credibility, but one does need experience. So, if you cannot show you have any, that’s going to be an issue. Keep in mind, one does not have to be a guru or expert to operate in a market. Perhaps you could partner up with somebody who does have more credibility and experience and you handle the marketing and website stuff.

What got you interested in this?

• Nanatchawat Puvorawong

July 2, 2020 at 12:08 pm

I like to learn about natural and alternative remedies, especially the way to cure type-2 diabetes. Most people are told by the doctor that type-2 diabetes mellitus is a chronic, progressive disease. They need to take meds for the rest of their life to control blood sugar levels and avoid complications. There’s an increasing number of diabetics these days and more people die from its complication such as heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, etc. If they are alive, chances are that they will suffer from any complications such as circulation, foot ulcers, limb amputation, neuropathy, vision problems, depression, dementia, and so on. More and more diabetics are insulin-dependent yet the death rate keeps increasing. So, what’s the missing?

I don’t have any experience with diabetes myself but I lost a couple of my relatives who suffered type-2 diabetes syndrome and finally died with a heart attack, a complication due to hyperglycemia condition. My mother in law and two brothers in law are all diagnosed as type-2 diabetes. It seems like people around me are going to have diabetes. They are overweight and don’t realize how risk they have for diabetes consequences.

So, I am curious to learn more about diabetes. I went through the research done by a GP, a nutritionist, a doctor, learning about the root course of type-2 diabetes, and how to reverse it. I’ve learned it from many credible doctors, from listening to the podcast to attending online seminars, from reading books to joining the live class. They are doing the marketing stuff and have their own websites to promote their products and services. But it’s worth taking the time and money to learn it.

I am not a doctor and don’t have any direct experience with diabetes. I don’t have anything to tell the market for the story of how I suffered from diabetes and the way I reversed it until I ended up living a healthy life and no longer need to take meds. I don’t have that story of my own. That’s going to be an issue to my credibility. You’re absolutely right.

I just have experience in losing weight – 12 kg in 4 months and keeping it off – with the right natural diet and exercises. The root cause of being overweight and too much fat stored in our body is the result of insulin resistance which leads to type-2 diabetes if left untreated.

So the overweight person has a higher risk of developing type-2 diabetes in the long run if they don’t change their lifestyle and dietary habit.

I found out that the solutions to weight loss and type-2 diabetes reversal are pretty much the same. That is coping with insulin resistance, not taking in insulin either by oral or injection.

On top of that, there are myths about diabetes and misconception of diets we have been told to believe and follow the guideline for decades.

That’s the main idea I want to convey to the people. The point is how to build credibility in my case. What do you think?

• David Risley

Administrator
    July 3, 2020 at 7:55 am

I think that’s great and it is a great mission. Here’s what I would probably do…

Instead of trying to take on the position of “guru” on your site, instead take on the position of curator. In other words, you will create a resource on the natural handling of diabetes and you will compile and digest and make approachable all the info which is scattered around the web and other resources. You don’t claim to be the originator of everything, and you make no medical claims of your own. You’re simply… the researcher and advocate.

Make sense?

• Nanatchawat Puvorawong

July 3, 2020 at 10:17 am

I understand that your idea is for me to be a content curator, isn’t it? So, I have to sort through data on the Internet and collect the most relevant data to share on blogs, websites, and social media. And I should give credit to the author of that content resource.

What if I couldn’t find the content I want?

What if the existing content wasn’t relevant to the topic I planned to put out on the blog?

Will Google see it as duplicated content and slap it?

Of course, by doing this way, I don’t claim to be the originator of everything, and I make no medical claims of my own. That’s a good idea.

However, I wonder how I can make money out of that curated content. I understand I will be creating the lead magnets, writing email autoresponder, creating a squeeze page for building a responsive email subscriber list.

That said, I have to write my own content anyway; for the lead magnets, email copy, and the copy of the offer in order to test the product/market fit. If it receives positive feedback and is of interest to the market, I will then have to create my own product, which I will create my own content anyway. So, what’s the point of being a content curator in this case?

I’m not sure I understand the whole point. Correct me if I’m wrong.

What’s the chance of monetization through being a content curator?

Could you explain a little bit more in detail?

• David Risley

Administrator
    July 6, 2020 at 10:09 am

No, I’m not saying you let other people’s content dictate your site. The idea is that you are crafting your own content, but you can and will often source your material from other places. Link to them as reference. Show your sources. It is no different than if a doctor or scientist wrote a paper. They would be expected to link to all their references. You’re doing the same thing.

In no way am I saying that you’re just gathering other people’s stuff and re-posting it.

• Nanatchawat Puvorawong

July 6, 2020 at 9:02 pm

Ok, I got it. Thank you so much for your support. This is another great idea to get around being seen by people as a non-qualified person giving them medical advice when I am not a dietitian, a GP, or a doctor.

I hope this could be a good way to craft the content by referring to credible resources. I am not sure if there’s no legal consequence where it leads me to the lawsuit in case if the patients following guidelines written by me (backed by scientific and medical references), and having a negative effect on their health or current illness.

Alternatively, if the diabetes market is really a good fit for those who are qualified for a medical degree, then I will better off leave it for them and consider another market. The one I am looking for is weight loss for the bride-to-be or a relationship market, either dating or marriage-saving but I need to niche it further down to avoid high competitiveness.

Anyway, it’s ideal if I pursue the market that I have experience in that particular issue so I can best relate to the audience in that market through communication, and they can sense that too.

What’s your comment?

• David Risley

Administrator
    July 7, 2020 at 8:58 am

It just depends on the kind of business you want to make. Certainly, if you want to build a personality-based brand or a “guru” brand, then you need personal experience and expertise. But, there are always other ways to go. Affiliate marketing, ecommerce, or even partnerships with somebody who has more expertise while you handle the website stuff.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Create Your FREE Account!

Join and participate in the community, access exclusive resources in the Document Vault, and get a free subscription to THE EDGE.

Your membership is free for life.