Academy Member Community

Get technical questions answered... or help with your business strategy. Your call. :)

Academy Member Community

Get informed answers to your Wordpress questions – right here in the Academy member community. One of the benefits of your free membership.

Already a member? Sign In.

• Content Creation Contract

• Matt Dennis

April 15, 2021 at 12:40 pm

In the past, I’ve made all of the content on my site, i.e. blog posts and courses. I’m thinking of hiring others to create blog posts, videos, courses within my niche but I’m a little lost as to how to best do this. Does anyone have someone else create content for their site? Do you have a contract you use when hiring someone? Any other insight would be welcome!

• David Risley

Administrator
    April 16, 2021 at 7:42 am

The only time I did it was with my technology site I used to run. My main writer was an actual employee, so he had an employment contract with me. Pretty standard. Then, I had some contractors, and we usually just agreed upfront to a per-article or per-word rate. I don’t have any of those contracts anymore, tho. But, they were pretty standard. They were granting me exclusive rights to the content, etc.

Keep in mind, this only works if you’re in a niche where anybody can write it and there’s no real tie to you. In the tech niche, there was none of that. But, even with BMA, I don’t think I could do the same since so much of it is tied to me and my personality.

Another option is to become a publisher, and begin to publish courses by other folks. And you just work out an arrangement.

• Amber Killinger

April 26, 2021 at 2:23 pm

A friend of mine uses Upwork to find writers. He pays $150 for a technical article that’s 1300-1500 words. He looks for native English-speaking writers. I haven’t done any research about pricing so I don’t know if that’s high or not. He tends to want to pay people well.

• David Risley

Administrator
      April 27, 2021 at 9:12 am

He definitely does. 🙂 That seems like a lot for one article.

• Matt Dennis

April 27, 2021 at 9:36 am

Thank you to both Amber and David for your replies. Pricing was one area I wasn’t sure about. The $150 seems a bit too much for me and my niche. It does give me something to think about though and that is exactly what I was hoping for when I posted originally. This next question is a bit subjective based on the niche but if you were to pay someone for a 750-1000 word post what would be willing to pay?

• David Risley

Administrator
      April 27, 2021 at 10:49 am

Really hard to say. For me, I’d start with what the value is TO YOU. I mean, if I was going to pay for an article, I’d want to make sure there’s an ROI. It has to be more than just posting content for content’s sake and being on the hamster wheel, because that’s an easy way to burn money for no reason.

If. the article was strategically picked for topic, you know exactly what the call to action will be, and what the marketing goal is for it, then you can work it. backwards from projected result to what you’d be willing to pay for it.

Also, there’s value of your time. Some people would really struggle to write 1,000 words. For me, personally, I consider that child’s play so I wouldn’t pay anything for such an article. I’d rather do it myself. But, yeah, for some people, a good chunk of the value is simply not having to stress out about writing. 🙂 Everybody has their skillset.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Create Your FREE Account!

Join and participate in the community, access exclusive resources in the Document Vault, and get a free subscription to THE EDGE.

Your membership is free for life.