Academy Member Community

Get technical questions answered... or help with your business strategy. Your call. :)

Academy Member Community

Get informed answers to your Wordpress questions – right here in the Academy member community. One of the benefits of your free membership.

Already a member? Sign In.

• Getting business from 0 to 1 and then on to 10

• Mark Mobley

May 29, 2020 at 7:52 am

Dear David,

Lifetime member (glad you didn’t cut us off) been following you for years. Been especially interested in your recent posts. You seem to be writing about what you know. The set up of your business. But it seems that the customers you have been writing to already have their product or service at a level of about 4 or 5 out of 10. And are trying to reach a 7 or 8. And that is one segment of the market. But there are a few drawbacks to broad appeal.

First there is a high learning on the systems you recommend. If the idea or product you have is not fully complete or you have not organized it with the ability to release it in parts as you complete, much time will be spent on learning how to use the systems you are recommending rather than having a good product. I read your review for WPFusion. At the end you wrote that it is not for the beginners. So what is for the beginners?

Second is the cost of getting it all set up. My experience has been that my most successful creations have paid for themselves as they have grown. Investing time and money up front in things you think you need to get started often result in a waste of time and money.

It seems to me that the biggest difficulty (and the problem I am having or I would not be writing) is getting from 0 to 1 on the scale of 10. Or even getting from -1 to 0 and then to 1.

Did come across a post in the Community under Starting from scratch about 1000 True Fans. That article reopened my eyes to the fact that businesses are built one customer at a time. So how do you get your first customer or True Fan?
    If you figure you need 1000 True Fans for your business to work in the long run then getting your first paid customer would be like getting to .001 on a scale of 0 to 10. The actual -1 step before that would be how find potential buyers for my service or product.

I have gone to Facebook and joined groups looking for people that need exactly what I do. I am testing different offers to these people, done surveys and gotten in communication to find out what will get a response. I figure after I have 10 or 20 that I think will actually buy, I will release my product. I am building my list of potential prospects first. I am earning their confidence one at a time. Hopefully I can expand from there.

I would be interested in your ideas about the above. And the input of others who have been through the above.

Some questions and suggestions:

1. If WPFusion is for intermediate/advanced businesses, What is for beginners? How can you transition up to WPFusion and when do you do it?

2. Other basic mininums to get started? When to transition up?

Suggested articles:

1. How to get your first 10 paid customers without spending a dime? (Well almost no money.)

2. How to get from 0 on your 0 to 10 business.

• Fay Woolley

May 30, 2020 at 2:54 am

Ditto to pretty much everything Mark Mobley said! I would also be interested in the suggested articles especially if they point to useful lessons / courses.

The thing is, as I write this, I’m sure you have covered the starting point within the Roadmap and Business building bootcamp, so I’d better get back to them!

• David Risley

Administrator
    June 1, 2020 at 8:38 am

Hey Mark!

First, of course I’m not going to cut off lifetimes. 🙂 Lifetime memberships mean what they mean.

To your ideas…

It seems as if you are commenting more on my most recent blog posts on the public site. And yes, since much of it has gone along with my own personal work here inside the LAB, some of that stuff is definitely not for beginners. But, that doesn’t mean we don’t have a lot around here geared toward beginners. In fact, we have more beginners than otherwise.

The Roadmap starts from scratch. The Business Building Bootcamp is also geared toward getting off 0.

On the public blog, I’ve written several things aimed just toward the basics. Have you seen this?

https://www.blogmarketingacademy.com/basics/

Your suggested articles, however, are really good ideas. Thanks for that. 🙂

As for WPFusion, I covered it because I am using it. In no way was I recommending it to my whole audience. Most people just stating out with a membership site would use something like Wishlist Member or MemberPress. They work quite well.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Create Your FREE Account!

Join and participate in the community, access exclusive resources in the Document Vault, and get a free subscription to THE EDGE.

Your membership is free for life.