Academy Member Community

Get technical questions answered... or help with your business strategy. Your call. :)

Academy Member Community

Get informed answers to your Wordpress questions – right here in the Academy member community. One of the benefits of your free membership.

Already a member? Sign In.

• How to decide on my target audience

Daniel Fresquez updated 1 year ago 3 Members · 14 Posts
  • Dimka Gineva

May 21, 2020 at 6:03 am

Hello David and everyone 🙂

I’m having a hard time deciding who my target audience is.

For the niche I made the decision – I help you (not sure who exactly at the moment), I help you get out of your 9 to 5 miserable job, build your online business and become a leader.

The focus will be on building emotional intelligence skills like creating a life vision, getting clear on values, passions, overcoming fears, self-doubt, building the right habits for success, etc.

Basically, personal development stuff.

Target audience – So far, I have 25 to 45 years old. But no idea who to target. What kind of job (it seems to me, they could be any job), what groups could they be a member of, what they search on Google, etc.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

• David Risley

Administrator
    May 21, 2020 at 7:32 am

Part of defining your niche is to define WHO it is. In other words, “I help __________ DO __________ so that ____________.”

It all goes together. So, from that perspective, your niche isn’t really defined yet. The other thing is that what you say you want to help them do is all over the place and could be mismatched. Are you teaching them to build an online business? Improve leadership skills? It seems as if your stated focus is aiming toward different outcomes.

One’s target audience is not a demographic… as much as it is a type of person.

So anyway…

This needs to begin with a problem/solution match. And that solution needs to be more than “help”. What’s the system you will use? What’s the process you have figured out to assist toward a specific outcome for them?

We’ll go from there. 🙂

• Dimka Gineva

May 21, 2020 at 9:08 am

I wrote to become a leader, because the Leadership specialization I finished, changed my life.

Before itI felt not good enough, not believing in myself and in my abilities, I was like the walking dead. I buried my dreams deep into my heart. I was simply going through the motion.

The leadership specialization was like a waking-up call. I woke up from my deep sleep and started working on my dreams at full capacity.

That’s why the word leader is a special one for me.

This is my system in a nutshell:

1. Crafting your personal vision – get clarity on your values, passions, purpose and goals

1. Discovering Your Ideal Self (Who do I want to be?) and Understanding Your Real Self (Who am I?) – your strengths and weaknesses

1. Understanding the gap between where you are and where you want to be and creating a plan how to build a bridge so that you can reach your goals

1. Overcoming your fears and limiting beliefs – I’m not good enough, fear of rejection, failure, success, fear of competitors.

1. Creating the positive mindset for success (Positive outlook- seeing the positive aspects of things and the future) – it could include many different activities like Morning Ritual and Gratitude journal.

So basically this is the first step in becoming a leader – self-awareness and self-management.

Everything that combined with my traits:

1. Creativity – I’m a very creating person

2. Looking for the positive in everything

3. Loving and caring

4. Inspiring and encouraging

Right now, I’m extremely passionate about copywriting and storytelling. Just finished my two-month course. But obviously that is not enough to become an expert.

I will keep developing myself in this field as a hobby because I truly love it.

I think that’s all. Thank you once again, David. I appreciate your support.

• David Risley

Administrator
    May 21, 2020 at 1:21 pm

Very cool. 🙂 So, what I would do is take that nutshell system… and expand upon it into some steps that you can repeat with people predictably. Also, since humans can be quite varied, you’d probably need to have some built-in ways to help people who might throw you other kinds of curveballs.

The more specific and predictable you can make this kind of stuff, the easier it is to deliver – and sell. The biggest mistake people make in personal development is to not have a system nor a clear outcome in mind. In the absence of that (like a real technology and methodology), people end up speaking in generality and want to charge people to basically cheer them up aimlessly.

People who are “walking dead” feel very aimless. The biggest favor you can do them is to come in and be very concrete, certain and…. lead. To confidently say that you have a system taped out tp get them reliably to an outcome.

• Dimka Gineva

May 22, 2020 at 5:26 am

Thank you very much for the fast reply, David.

“expand upon it into some steps that you can repeat with people predictably” – To make it more predictable, you have to solve a specific problem to specific people in a specific field.

And here comes my problem.

I’m single. So without the relationship area.

I don’t have any achievements in health.

Career – Just the word career makes me sink.

I like business and specifically business online. I had a business online teaching English. (But it was built only on recommendations)

That’s why I have written – I help people to start a business online.

But now, when I think of it, those people aren’t really interested in personal development. What they want is to find a profitable business idea as soon as possible.

I was thinking of personal development for business owners)) – to help them find their purpose in life. Honestly, I doubt someone is looking for that.

So that leaves me practically with no choice. At least, I don’t see it.

“People who are “walking dead” feel very aimless” – That’s very true. And in most cases, they are not even aware they need a change. They are not actively looking for a solution.

At least, that was for me. The leadership specialization came by chance in my life. I was looking for something else when I stumbled on this specialization.

And that’s how my personal development started.

I was very sensitive and took everything personally and deeply. And because of that, I suffered a lot.

I was afraid that if I lost my sensitivity, I wouldn’t be able to create poems and songs anymore.

But with my growth, things improved dramatically.

So my achievements are mostly in emotional and mental areas.

• Dimka Gineva

May 22, 2020 at 7:23 am

Additional note:

I have been coaching three years for free. I just followed the wrong advice. Anyway.

5+ people – different problems in different areas. With one of them, I worked for a year and a half. The other one – 7 months and so on. All of them, came to me, because I offered free coaching. They left me good testimonials and that was it.

One of them wrote – “You moved me from paralysis to action: I’m now writing a travel memoir,
    posting videos on YouTube, giving my career a reboot, and doing all the things I was afraid to do”. Can this be a niche? I help people move from paralysis to action. Too general still.

I’m so tired. Even my tiredness is tired.

It has been almost a year now, trying to find my niche.

• David Risley

Administrator
    May 22, 2020 at 7:56 am

You don’t have to have personally experienced something in order to help others with it. In some cases (like online business), I think that’s a necessity. But, if that were a global thing, then doctors couldn’t help a patient unless they had the same disease, or a counselor couldn’t help anybody unless they had the same problems. And that’s not true.

What is indeed necessary, however, is that you BE the leader. If you want to help somebody accomplish a particular thing, then step into that role. Stop giving yourself reasons why you can’t, since that’s not leadership.

Find the demand, then become the person who can serve them.

It’s OK to take a deep breath on this stuff. 🙂 The whole notion of “finding a niche” can be hard for a lot of people because it gets into a lot of… mental stuff. 😉 Questions of self-worth, etc.

But, at a certain point, it will ALWAYS come down to making a decision and then stepping into it… ignoring any gremlins on your shoulder telling you not to.

If people look for external proof that their choice is correct, without first diving in and running tests, then they will remain paralyzed.

• Dimka Gineva

May 22, 2020 at 11:06 am

Find the demand means you have to decide on your target audience first, right? How can you choose it?

And How can you find the demand?

• Dimka Gineva

May 22, 2020 at 2:16 pm

Right now, I came up with 2 options.

1. I help entrepreneurs deal with criticism, self-doubt, and fears so that they can become true leaders

2. I help women entrepreneurs overcome their low self-esteem so that they can become a leader in their field.

Not sure, how I can make the avatar more specific. At the moment it feels like every entrepreneur.

• David Risley

Administrator
    May 22, 2020 at 3:17 pm

Only to a certain point. You will need to decide your target market only on a broad basis. And it does ultimately come down to you making a decision.

From there, you find where that market communicates. You get on those lines. You interact. You survey. You ask lots of questions.

By doing that, you find out what they need and want.

Then, you make the moves needed to meet that demand,

• David Risley

Administrator
    May 22, 2020 at 3:20 pm

One thing you will never find is… certainty. If you look for that outside of yourself, you won’t find it. So, you need to learn to be OK with that. You only arrive at the certainty through testing things out over time, and even then, nothing is every guaranteed.

Being able to make decisions is sort of a prerequisite to building a business. And one reason why… it isn’t necessarily right for everybody.

• David Risley

Administrator
    May 22, 2020 at 3:23 pm

Sorry, I replied before seeing you had posted again. 🙂

OK, so again, it goes back to everything I said. You’re now at the point of initial decision. Which is fine. You’ve decided that, for now, you wish to serve women entrepreneurs with self-doubt and things like that. That’s fine!

Next… you find anywhere and everywhere that women entrepreneurs hang out. You ask questions. You interact. You learn all about every emotional constraint they’re struggling with. And find out what they try to do about it, how they would like to handle it, IF they want to handle it.

Then, you devise a system to do so. And present it. And test the idea incrementally.

Then, adjust as needed.

It’s a process.

• Dimka Gineva

July 30, 2020 at 5:31 am

Hi David

Thank you very much.

After months, what I found is that most women entrepreneurs are not actively looking for solutions in that area.

After one year of feeling stressed and anxious – how to define my niche, I decided…

I decided to try something new. In fact, it happened by chance.

I positioned myself as a copywriting coach. I finished a 2-month copywriting course. And I fell in love with copywriting. BUT…

One very big but… It turned out this course didn’t prepare me for my work, at all. I left with the impression that copywriting is basically a creative process like writers do.

Last week, I found out that copywriting is closely related to Internet marketing and psychology. And the text is just the instrument.

Now, I don’t know what to do, because I’ve already positioned myself as a copywriting coach to all of my friends on Facebook. Even created a FB group. At the moment, there are 30 people in it.

But I lack the required knowledge and skills.

I definitely want to keep studying copywriting. I don’t regret my decision.

I’m just afraid that I have to start from the very beginning. Because that course didn’t teach me much.

But till I learn the theory, months will pass.

The question is what to do during those months?

Thank you so much for your reply.

All the best

• Daniel Fresquez

October 10, 2020 at 2:05 am

A great place to bring up the buyer’s cycle. The three steps that every buyer goes through to either solve a problem or realize an opportunity.

Before someone decides to buy, and before they consider what to buy, they first become aware of their problem or a possible opportunity. In your case, the problem to solve would be “walking dead syndrome”, and the opportunity to realize would be “Online entrepreneurship and industry leadership”.

In any market that hasn’t recently emerged, you need to be as specific as possible about the opportunity and which challenges you’ll help your clients overcome.

Since you’re interested in coaching, I’m going to guess your answer is in life before your Leadership specialization, which seems to be the source of your passion. You took everything personally and deeply, suffered a lot, and was afraid that you wouldn’t be able to create poems and songs anymore. Those are all challenges you overcame, and now you can help your buyer persona overcome them too.

You positioned yourself as both an online business coach for women and a copywriting coach. Neither of those is a bad thing. They both lend to the value your offer your own business.

You now have new marketing skills to speak directly to your ideal buyer. Your understanding of the buyer’s psychology helps you understand your market’s needs.

Speaking of your market, What are the needs in your current market?

As far as copywriting goes, you found that most women entrepreneurs are not actively looking for solutions in that area. Still, you’re working backward by creating a product before you know what people will buy. I only point it out because I’m a repeat offender of this, and I’ve felt stressed and anxious too.

You, and I, felt like we need to start from the beginning because we skipped a critical step.

David gave it all away here when he said, “The biggest favor you can do them is to come in and be very concrete, certain and…. lead”.

“Them” in this case is your market, and more specifically, your primary buyer persona.

So how do you get to know “them”, the opportunities they’re looking for right now, and which obstacles they’re facing?

David gave it away again in a very counterintuitive way when he said:

One thing you will never find is… certainty. If you look for that outside of yourself, you won’t find it. So, you need to learn to be OK with that.
    You’ve decided that, for now, you wish to serve women entrepreneurs with self-doubt and things like that. That’s fine!
    Next… you find anywhere and everywhere that women entrepreneurs hang out. You ask questions. You interact. You learn all about every emotional constraint they’re struggling with.

David talks a little about market research in this blog post.

Never stop performing market research. When you have a lead or client, please pay attention to what’s causing their stress, and find out what’s motivating them to stay in that interaction with you. Existing customers give the best market research data.

Find a market opportunity within the realm of your passions, and maybe you’ll identify a specific industry that’s profitable right now.

Then follow the rest of David’s advice when he talks about the process of product/market matching in this blog post.

Even evergreen markets have pockets of opportunity that come up if you ask your audience lots of questions and provide them solutions to their current problems.

Only once you know the person (or have a buyer persona), can you help that person become more aware of their problem, consider their possible solutions, particularly you, then decide to go with you as their solution.

Viewing 1 - 14 of 14 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Create Your FREE Account!

Join and participate in the community, access exclusive resources in the Document Vault, and get a free subscription to THE EDGE.

Your membership is free for life.