Membership – subdomain/blog Single Sign On – SSO

• Author

Hi,

My blog is on a root domain, and membership site is on subdomain. I was hoping to allow my users to login/logout on either site, and not have to login/logout again if they go back and forth between sites (single sign on).

This is for:
        1. Improved user experience
        2. To be able to track member behavior across both sites when they are logged in.

Has anyone pulled something like this off yet?

I’ve discovered and installed the plugin ‘WP Remote Users Sync’. It’s a great concept, but doesn’t work for SSO well in many situations.
        Many users are having issues with it for SSO, but I’m sure it works for some setups.
        However, I have gotten the plugin to sync my user WordPress accounts and metadata between sites quite nicely….just the SSO part doesn’t work as it should. (The user has to login to both sites at least once during a browsing session, then it works like magic for logging in and out of both sites all day long)

Questions:
        1. Has anyone used ‘WP Remote Users Sync’ successfully. If so, what are your use cases?

2. Even though I’m at a loss for single sign on, but can at least sync my users, would it be a good idea to keep syncing them across both sites for now at a minimum? My reasoning is that if I don’t start now, if I want to sync users later, they’ll all have to reset their passwords on the second site. Whereas if they’re synced from the beginning, their passwords are synced from the get go.

Here’s some info on the ‘WP Remote Users Sync’ plugin if you’re unfamiliar:

WP Fusion Recommends it:
        https://wpfusion.com/documentation/tutorials/sync-user-accounts/

WPCrafter.com did a review of it…although I find it does not work as slick as he shows in the demo:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZKjj0Mclf4

And here’s the plugin page from WordPress:
        https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-remote-users-sync/

• October 28, 2022 at 6:31 am #3536955

So, my general recommendation on things like this is to not use two separate sites. 🙂 Once one starts going down this route, then usually that means it is better to just have one site because you seem to want member functionality spread throughout. Makes everything much easier when it is on one WP install.

This link from WPFusion might help a bit:

https://wpfusion.com/documentation/tutorials/sync-user-accounts/

• October 28, 2022 at 6:31 am #3537016

Yeah David, you’re right.

I had to re-evaluate why I was actually attempting to do this.

After seeing how it’s not so simple to pull off, members across two sites isn’t worth the effort in my case. It would be ‘nice to have, but easier said than done.

My blog is designed to be ultra minimal in every sense. Like minimalist design, lots of white space, nothing to look at but content (no distractions). And no plugins but the bare essentials. My theme designer/developer is crazy anal about cutting out the fat for both page speed and the visual design.

My membership site wouldn’t fit these requirements. It’s similar to your ideal setup, minus the blog.

But, next best thing, I’ll keep the members all on the members site. A link in the headers from the blog to membership and vice versa should be sufficient. Any signups the blog promotes could be tracked with UTM or FluentCRM tracking links. I may even opt to keep all signup forms and sales pages on the membership side as well.

I now realize my members shouldn’t really need to visit the blog once they’re a member. There’ll be some similar content, but the membership version of that same content will be repackaged to serve ‘learning’ needs, not marketing needs like the blog.

It would have been nice for users to be able to login from the blog side if they so desired. But that likely wouldn’t provide as much value as I had originally hoped for.

• October 28, 2022 at 6:31 am #3537023

Yeah, that’s probably the better approach as long as you guys insist on keeping the blog so clean.

I did this same move. My membership used to be completely separate from the blog. For similar reasons. But, I later reverted and combined back in one. Every situation is different, but in my case the convenience of having it all on one site won.

In terms of your designer insisting on minimalism, my experience is that SOME people sort of violate the 80/20 rule by taking that a little too far. There’s much that can be done to increase site performance and running it barebones isn’t really necessary to have peak performance. It is one way, but there’s much that can be done on the hosting level as well as the code and even selective plugin loading that can make the site perform great for public traffic.

• October 28, 2022 at 6:31 am #3537031

Yeah, I’ve been following your transition from separate sites to a single site. I can definitely see the benefits. It’s difficult to know exactly which way to go. I’m in a position to just go with the current setup and be open to changing if the time comes. It looks like moving to one site can be done, with some work though.

I’ve just installed Perfmatters on a sandbox site, but haven’t had a chance to test it out. Looks valuable to use when everything is all in one site.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.