Academy Member Community

Get technical questions answered... or help with your business strategy. Your call. :)

Academy Member Community

Get informed answers to your Wordpress questions – right here in the Academy member community. One of the benefits of your free membership.

Already a member? Sign In.

• Security of login forms

• dhmailbluewin-ch

February 23, 2021 at 5:21 am

Hello David

I’m just redesigning my login page a little bit. Doing this, I was wondering how secure the login form should be.

Should I use reCaptcha?
    What about brute-force and how to set it enough secure but not annoying for my customers?
    And other security aspects?

Which plugins/functions do you use on your login page?

And with which parameters are they set up? (like e.g. allowed logins with error only 5 times per 10min)

Thanks for your reply.
    Daniel

• David Risley

Administrator
    February 23, 2021 at 8:12 am

I wouldn’t put reCaptcha on there unless a problem arises. In all likelihood, you won’t experience an issue on your login, but reCaptcha has a 100% chance of annoying people when they try to log into your site.

I don’t do anything special with mine. I change the URL using a plug-in called WPS Hide Login, that way they’re not accessing the default WordPress login script.

Throttling their login attempts would be enough to ward off a brute force attack, if you’re worried about that.

• dhmailbluewin-ch

February 24, 2021 at 3:28 am

Thanks David.

Yes, reCaptcha can really be annoying in my eyes too. I always hate to see it, when I login on a website.

Then I would say, everything is already fine with my actual set up. Great! 🙂

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Create Your FREE Account!

Join and participate in the community, access exclusive resources in the Document Vault, and get a free subscription to THE EDGE.

Your membership is free for life.