Academy Member Community

Get technical questions answered... or help with your business strategy. Your call. :)

Academy Member Community

Get informed answers to your Wordpress questions – right here in the Academy member community. One of the benefits of your free membership.

Already a member? Sign In.

• Tech Stack for getting started

David Risley updated 1 year ago 2 Members · 5 Posts
  • Mark Nicholson

October 13, 2020 at 10:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I want to build a site to meet the needs of a certain type of engineer. These are people with their professional personas on, so more LinkedIn than Facebook 🙂

I want to be able to acquire information they give me, either directly or via site interaction. For example the Home page should be a particular page until they have signed up for free site membership, at which time they get a different home page. The offers they get should be conditional on one or more tags, so nobody gets hit for an offer they have already signed up for. A major part of the site with be a community forum, which I want to be able to support many different areas relevant to each of my offerings. There will ultimately be a paid courses section, as well as free courses

I am building this site from scratch, so I have no legacy data to enter and I am a bright eyed, bushy tailed newbie. I’m fairly IT savvy and have run a few PhP-based sites before, but I am not a coder, just a reader of the instruction book.

I am setting up a WP site with Cloudways (thanks David) and have signed up for Thrive Themes membership so I have that whole stack. But I have several pieces missing from my puzzle:

Where do I store the data on my users? The WP user accounts don’t seem sufficient. They will all be subscribers, but I want to be able to store a lot more than that.

Do I need a CRM system separate to my email automation plugin?

A Forum plugin will be essential, and I know this site runs on BuddyBoss. Totally happy to get that, but is it still the 2020 choice of forum software? And how does it interact with Thrive Leads and the rest of the Thrive ecosystem?

Do I need WP Fusion as well?

That’s probably enough for now, as you can see I need general directional help right now.

Thanks in advance,

– Mark

• David Risley

Administrator
    October 14, 2020 at 9:49 am

While Thrive Themes is a solid purchase, truth is for a membership site (which sounds like what you have in mind) it isn’t super useful to have the entire stack. Thrive Architect can come in handy, but that’s literally the only Thrive Themes plug-in I use in my LAB setup. Thrive Theme Builder is a nice platform, but not suitable to a dynamic membership where everybody sees different stuff.

While there are numerous ways to do things, of course, my preference is going to be quite similar to my own setup. Obviously, I did a bunch of research before deciding for myself. So…

• Yes, you will need some kind of CRM, for sure.
    • WP Fusion will be a god-send for you if you intend to control what people see with tags.
    • BuddyBoss is a great setup, so yes.

The WordPress user system is perfectly capable of what you need/want, however it will work in conjunction with other tools. WPFusion can keep things un sync. You can use something like Advanced Custom Fields to extend user profiles beyond the built-in fields. Everything is quite extensible.

Here at the LAB, the WordPress user accounts are the basis for everything. But, there are custom fields involved. WPFusion keeps things in sync with my CRM. And WPFusion controls access and what people see. Works very nicely.

• Mark Nicholson

October 14, 2020 at 4:29 pm

Thanks David!

One thing I’m not clear on: is there is a difference between a CRM system and an Email Automation platform like ConvertKit?

I’m still getting my head around the stack I need. So far I have

WP host site (Cloudways etc)
    BuddyBoss for the forum
    WPFusion for what exactly? Is the free version adequate
    MemberMouse for member management
    ConvertKit/ActiveCampaign or other email marketing automation tool
    A separate CRM for storing user data? Or is that what Membermouse does?

I’m sorry if these questions are a bit blunt, but I’m still trying to get my head around the whole stack needed 🙂

– Mark

• Mark Nicholson

October 18, 2020 at 5:31 pm

Hey David,

I’ve decided to go with Kajabi for the site as it’s much easier than trying to glue all this WP + plugin stuff together, so not need to respond further.

Thanks,

– Mark

• David Risley

Administrator
    October 19, 2020 at 8:02 am

ConvertKit is a CRM.

I no longer recommend MemberMouse.

If you’re happy with Kajabi, then that’s fine.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Create Your FREE Account!

Join and participate in the community, access exclusive resources in the Document Vault, and get a free subscription to THE EDGE.

Your membership is free for life.