This is Day 25 of the 30 Days, 30 Killer WordPress Plug-ins Series.
When you’re out there on the Internet, security risks are just a part of life. And, when you have a website, it is the same thing.
In fact, since your site is online 24/7, it is subject to security issues at all times.
Now, with WordPress, one of your best defenses – and the simplest – is to keep your WordPress and your plug-ins up-to-date. Doing that goes a pretty long way to keeping your site secure.
There are also risks due to your web host. All you can do there is do your research before choosing a web host. Hosts are ALWAYS monitoring their systems and doing software updates… so it isn’t as if they’re not trying. But, as they say… sh*t happens. 😉
All this being said, you can definitely add an additional layer of security to your WordPress blog. And one that you should definitely check out is called WordFence.
It is described as…
Wordfence Security is a free enterprise class security plugin that includes a firewall, virus scanning, real-time traffic with geolocation and more.
Some of the features include:
- Set up two-factor authentication to log into WordPress admin. This is just like logging into your bank.
- Scan WordPress core files and compare to what’s inside the WordPress.org repository, to detect if any of your core files have been modified by an outside influence.
- Virus scanning and backdoor scanning
- User blocking and throttling
- Bot monitoring
- Viewing live site activity so you can see who or what is on your site.
Almost all of these features can be done for free with WordFence. They do have a Premium version you can check out at WordFence.com. Premium will get you some additional features such as scheduled scans.
Definitely give this a shot. Even with solid hosting and up-to-date WordPress, you’re not fully immune against hackers. Your chances of getting hacked aren’t very high, but it still happens every day.
Keep up with the latest in this 30-day series by staying connected!
- Follow me on Twitter
- Connect on Facebook – my personal profile or my public one
- Connect on Google+
- Subscribe via RSS
You can enter your email below and I’ll keep you in the loop….
[contentblock id=11 img=optin.png]