David's Online Business Toolbox
I have been in this line of work for over two decades. And I say that in order to make 2 points: (1) I have used, tested and reviewed a helluva lot of tools, and (2) I see right through shiny objects and hypey launches and make it part of my job to help my students and readers avoid wasting money as they build their blogs and businesses.
This page contains my top, official recommendations for various tools that are necessary for pretty much all online businesses.
You’re smart, so you know how this business works. Yes, many of the links on this page are affiliate links. That means I will earn a commission if you choose to purchase any of these tools through my link. And you have my sincere thanks if you do that. But, also know this…
I take my reputation with my recommendations seriously. I only recommend what I have used and vetted personally. Most of the tools on this page are tools I am using actively to run my own business. But, not only that…
If I recommend a tool and you buy it based on my recommendation, I am there to support you. In some cases, I have bonus training inside the LAB portal I will hook you up with. In many cases, people email me for help and I’m happy to provide an additional layer of support over top what the provider does themselves. So, when you buy through one of these affiliate links, you’re also locking in the resources of the Blog Marketing Academy to help iron out any confusions and support issues that you encounter as you use the tool.
Best Overall Package
Unless you have a blog with special requirements (like a community membership), I think that Thrive Themes is a universal solution that allows anybody, without any coding knowledge whatsoever, to visually design their website however they want.
In order to get this combination, you will need to get the Thrive Suite. With the Thrive Suite, you will gain access to every single plug-in and theme they offer. This suite is the most powerful suite out there for a WordPress-based online marketer.
Here’s all that is included in the Thrive Suite…
- Thrive Theme Builder. Way beyond a normal theme. This is a platform that will allow you to mold your site into anything you want, without knowing any coding. All “what you see is what you get”. You can read my review here. And you can read my story of switching this site to Theme Builder here and here.
- Thrive Architect. This is the main editor that forms the foundation for all Thrive Themes tools. Simply amazing, and I’ve tested many of the alternatives. This is the best. (Architect vs Elementor and Architect Vs Divi)
- Thrive Leads. For taking full control and managing opt-in forms across your site. I’ve tested a lot of WordPress-centered opt-in form plugins… and this is the most robust.
- Thrive Comments. A major enhancement to the built-in WordPress comments system that allows you to turn your comments into a marketing opportunity.
- Thrive Apprentice. Manage your online courses and present them beautifully, right on your WordPress site. Read my review.
- Thrive Ovation. Collect and organize testimonials – and easily include them into any of your landing pages. You can have an actual system for social proof. Read this look at using Thrive Ovation and how it fits in.
- Thrive Ultimatum. A powerful setup for using urgency to make more sales. Countdown timers, with tons of flexibility.
- Thrive Quiz Builder. Create online quizzes, use them to build targeted email lists and much more. A bit amazing that they managed to build this on WordPress, really.
- Thrive Optimize. Built-in split testing to raise your conversion rates. Works hand-in-hand with Thrive Architect to give you a super powerful platform for all of your landing pages and sales pages.
- Headline Optimizer. A simple tool for split-testing blog post headlines and using the ones which results in the most traffic.
Thrive Suite is the best “bang for the buck” package out there for WordPress-centered marketing. If you’re building your business on top of a WordPress site, this is seriously worth considering. Thrive tools work together beautifully. Trying to cobble together all this functionality using a big mix of other plug-ins is likely going to cost you more… and be more frustrating.
I use Thrive Suite. You should definitely check it out to see if it works for you.
Preferred Web Hosts
The absolute best bang for your buck is going to be a virtual private server. And the easiest way to do that without the required nerdiness is by using Cloudways. I am personally hosted with Cloudways and I’m really diggin’ it. You can read why I switched to Cloudways here. Cloudways simply gives you more… for less. They offer all the benefits of a managed WordPress host, but with far more flexibility and far more horsepower. Even the cheapest VPS (which runs only $10/month) offers far more power than every shared hosting company you will find. Perfect for people who want the speed. Also an ideal choice for people running online stores, membership sites and other dynamic sites.
If you don’t feel you’re ready for Cloudways, my backup recommendation is most definitely Siteground. I have used Siteground in the past. They have a great platform and they are a solid company. They have also recently streamlined their account admin pages, making it much easier to use (in my opinion). Siteground remains my top recommendation for an all-in-one, shared web host. While Cloudways is pretty easy, Siteground is more friendly for newbies.
How To Choose The Right Web Hosting. This is my official guide on how to shop for a host – as well as some companies I would stay away from. A lot of bloggers recommend Bluehost or Hostgator and… not me. I’ll tell you why.
Preferred Email Hosts
Email List Hosting
Use code bmamember to save 20%.
FluentCRM is a marketing automation system that runs right inside of WordPress. While it is newer, it is already quite powerful… and I can see it getting to the point of competing with Drip in terms of capability, but without the higher expense. If you want the security of having your list “in house” and want to keep your costs down, FluentCRM is a solid option. Read my review.
There are many good, solid options out there for hosting your email list. And my official recommendation has evolved over the years. Today, the solution that I think represents the best option for my students is ConvertKit. I believe ConvertKit currently represents the best balance of ease of use combined with marketing automation capability. Read my review on how ConvertKit compares to Aweber and Mailchimp.
Drip is an email marketing automation platform which doesn’t make you go cross-eyed. The power and flexibility that Drip has is simply amazing. It integrates with everything, sports a beautiful graphical automation builder (called workflows), and forms the foundation of the email machine here at the Blog Marketing Academy.
I personally used Aweber for YEARS. They are a solid company with a stellar reputation. Everything integrates with it. And they’ve made a number of solid improvements to keep up with the times. They’re not the most glamorous option anymore, but they’re reliable.
Top Optin & Call To Action Manager
I have now switched all of my optins to ConvertBox and I think this is a solution worthy of strong consideration. It is also unique right now because you can lock it in with a lifetime membership.
ConvertBox is easy to use. And it is quickly developing to a platform that will blow all WordPress-specific options away. Imagine being able to customize the calls to action across your site based on WHO the person is and the information you know about them in your CRM. You can show optins to people not already on your list… and targeted offers to the people who are.
ConvertBox is most definitely a strong tool for managing optin forms and calls to action. And with the availability of the lifetime plan, it represents one of the best investments out there for your business.
- Read My ConvertBox Review. This review will show you the ropes on how ConvertBox works and why I think it is an incredibly promising tool.
- Read The Story Of Why I Officially Switched To ConvertBox. After using ConvertBox “part time” for a little while, I decided to go all in and convert this whole site to it.
That solution is ThriveCart. (And no, this is not related to Thrive Themes). ThriveCart does… everything. You can use it to run as many products or subscriptions as you want. You can use it across multiple sites. There are no limits. All for one, single purchase. Yes, it has an initial investment to secure your account. But, once you have it, this software will form the ecommerce foundation for all of your online businesses.
If you want a solid option for processing orders, managing delivery, and having every conversion-increasing strategy available in one package, ThriveCart is a solid investment. Right now, you can pay just once and lock it in forever. And having a solution like this to power all your sales in the future, without any recurring fees, is just a smart investment. Period.
WooCommerce is tried and true. Built by the same people as Wordpress itself, it can run a simple online store very easily… or expand up to a full ecommerce store that works just like Amazon. This site runs on WooCommerce now. While ThriveCart is much easier to use, WooCommerce is usually a better fit for membership sites (due to tight Wordpress integration) or for physical products.
Membership Site Tools
WP Fusion is the glue which makes this site work. This plug-in is the most useful plug-in I have. It fuses my site with my CRM (Drip), allowing my site to become a direct extension of every automation I run inside of Drip. It also protects all the content, so this IS my membership plug-in. Check out my full WP Fusion review.